Friday, December 1, 2017

December Blog Hop!




Hello and Happy December!

What did you think of Barb's project?? I can hardly wait to see what everyone has done. Please leave a comment to let us know what you think of our work. We appreciate your feedback!

I have always loved small scenes. When I was a girl my mom took me to two places that I fell in love with. One was the Science and Industry building in Chicago which had the Colleen Moore doll house. Ms. Moore was a silent film star and the original flapper! The doll house was really quite huge at nine feet square and seven feet tall. Mom bought me a book about it which I still have.
The second place that I loved was the Thorne Rooms at the Art Institute of Chicago. We went there many times. My mom actually took classes at the Art Institute and became an artist. The Thorne rooms were conceived by a prominent wealthy woman in Chicago. Mrs. Narcissa Niblack Thorne would travel the globe looking for items to put in her rooms. She had teams of artists creating items and helping to design each room. They are amazing! There are 68 miniature rooms housed in the basement of the Art Institute. As luck would have it, twenty of the 99 rooms created were given to the Phoenix Art Museum. There is a series of children's books based on the Thorne Rooms in Chicago called the Sixty-Eight Rooms, written by Marianne Malone that I highly recommend. Two children find a magic key and are able to shrink down to enter the rooms and interact with people from the era of the room! Delightful!! 
Given that history, is it any wonder that I have created a small scene for you in my card? As soon as I saw the set Night in Bethlehem I knew that I had to have it! It has a set of dies that match many of the stamps. 


Close up of the scene on the front of the card. Can you see the sparkle in the upper left corner??






The white cardstock is actually shimmery white cardstock, which I used for the die cuts as well as the front of the card. The designer paper comes from the Merry Little Christmas Designer Series Paper package in the Occasions catalog. The card base and ink are black. I used dimensionals, mini dimensionals and Foam Adhesive Strips to add all the depth.  
I hope you enjoyed my card. I wish you a very Merry Christmas!
Take time to breathe!

Use the button below to hop to Mary's Blog!
http://www.doggandponyshow.blogspot.com

14 comments:

  1. B.E.A.Utiful!! I too am a big fan of both the Colleen Moore Fairy Castle and the Thorne Rooms - they are a must see whenever I go to those museums. I didn't know some of the Thorne Rooms were in Arizona - another reason to visit soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barb!! You are welcome to come and stay with us any time!! :)

      Delete
  2. Oh Ellie I love it, I need to get out that set. Hugs, Di

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have already received two other cards using this set!!

      Delete
  3. This is beautiful I love it. You really have created so much depth

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your card and your story! I’d like to get my hands on that book, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Next time you come to visit I will get out my book on the Thorne rooms, the children's series featuring the Thorne rooms, as well as the Colleen Moore Doll house book!!

      Delete
  5. Simply stunning; LOVE the black and white!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing this beautiful story and your card is stunning. Simple and elegant. Fun blog hop.

    ReplyDelete